*** WARNING ***
The different reasons why a temporary agent licence may be requested influence the choice of form to be used, the documents to be submitted or even the recommended transmission mode for your application.
After reviewing the points listed below, we invite you to consult the following section to submit your application.
Pursuant to the Privcate Security Act in Quebec, the Bureau de la sécurité privée may issue a temporary agent's licence to a person, for the purpose of carrying on a private security activity in the following cases:
- For training purposes;
- For the special needs of an investigation;
- For temporary labor on the occasion of a special event;
- Covid-19 Pandemic;
TEMPORARY PANDEMIC SECURITY GUARD LICENCE
Beginning in 2022, the issuance and renewal of a temporary pandemic permit shall be for the purpose of conducting private security guarding activity in the following locations:
- Covid-19 Testing Clinic;
- Vaccination clinic for covid-19;
- Hospital center;
- Local community services center (CLSC);
- Residential and long-term care center (CHSLD);
- Intermediate Resource (IR);
- Private seniors’ residence (PSR);
And any other sector of activity that requires temporary private security workforce needs related to the management of the pandemic or its immediate consequences.
Do you meet the age requirement?
To obtain a temporary agent licence, you must be at least 18 years old, unless you are applying for this licence to receive training that may qualify you to be issued a regular agent licence, for example, during an internship.
Do you have a criminal history?
To obtain an agent licence, and throughout the term of your licence, you must:
- Have never been found guilty of a criminal offence related to the private security activity for which you are applying for a licence, unless you have obtained a pardon; and
- Be of good moral character, i.e., you conduct yourself in accordance with society’s moral and social values.
To determine whether you meet these criteria, BSP must send your personal information to Sûreté du Québec (SQ) so that it can perform a security check. SQ will then inform BSP of the results of its verification and give its opinion as to whether the criteria have been met. Upon receipt of this information, the BSP will determine whether you meet the criteria regarding criminal history and good moral character.
Are you a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or do you have a work permit in Canada?
In order to obtain an agent licence, a person must have Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or a work permit in Canada issued by the competent authority. It is the duty of this person to ensure that his or her work permit is in force for the time that he or she wishes to carry on private security activities and to notify the Bureau when his or her work permit is no longer valid.
Are you in physical and mental condition which allows you to carry on a private security activity?
In order to be able to obtain an agent licence in private security, a person must be in a physical and mental condition such as he or she is able to carry on the private activity for which the licence is applied for or issued. Only at the request of the Bureau, a person may be required to submit a medical certificate to confirm this fact.
Have you read the obligations associated with the licence?
When you sign your licence application form, you declare that you are aware of your responsibilities and obligations if you are issued a licence.
Please familiarize yourself with them now if you haven’t already done so.
Caution! As a temporary licence holder, you must fulfill additional obligations. You must also:
- Remain, at all times, under the responsibility of the person or business that hired you and for which your licence was issued;
- Remain under the supervision of the holder of a valid regular agent licence of the same class of your temporary licence;
- Not carry on a private security activity for any purpose other than the one for which you obtained your temporary licence;
- Apply to have your temporary licence renewed before it expires, as required, if it is for the same purpose that the temporary licence was originally issued;
Pay annual fees if your temporary licence is renewed for a period exceeding one year. If the temporary licence is renewed for the same purpose for which it was issued beyond the 120 days, a printing fee will apply for the licence copy. In summary, a temporary licence does not allow you to engage in private security employment at your leisure. You cannot change employers or jobs. This licence is issued for a specific and unique mandate.
Do you have all the relevant documents on hand?
Get ready! To be processed, your application must be accompanied by the following documents, whether the licence is required for :
- Training : In all cases, confirmation of registration for training that may qualify you to be issued a regular agent licence.
In a case of an internship: a declaration from the employer where you will be in internship, indicating where and when it will be held, and the name and regular agent licence number (of the same category) of the person who will supervise you at the employer.
As part of your work-study program: a declaration from the employer where you will complete the on-the-job portion of your training program and the name and regular agent licence number (of the same category) of the person who will supervise you at the employer.
IMPORTANT! Please note that an application for a temporary work-study licence for security guarding can only be made once by the applicant.
- The specific needs of an investigation (undercover or double agent): a declaration from your employer indicating the name of your supervisor and his/her investigation agent licence number, the reason why this employer needs to retain your services specifically and the period for which your temporary services are required.
- Temporary labour for a specific event (sports or cultural activities, labour dispute or disaster): an employer's declaration indicating the name of your supervisor and his agent's licence number (in the same category as the one for which you are requesting a temporary licence); the name or description of the specific event for which your services are required; the date and location of the specific event.
- Temporary Labour (Pandemic): Depending on how you submit your application, you will be required to fill out different appendices to complete your application.
A copy of both sides of two (2) different valid pieces of identification from the lists below to meet the following conditions:
Condition 1 :
Piece of identification issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government or, failing that, by a foreign government*, containing at the least your name, date of birth, photo and signature.
Your valid driver licence in Canada (preferred, if you hold one)
Or, if not, choose a document from List 1 below:
* Any piece of identification must be in French or English, otherwise you must also provide us with a translation into one of these official languages made by a member of the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec.
Condition 2 :
Document evidencing that you have Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or a work permit issued by the competent Canadian immigration authorities.
Choose a document from List 2 below (must be different from the one chosen from List 1):
Two (2) identical colour passport-size (5 cm x 7 cm) photos taken within six (6) months prior to application. The photo must be taken facing front, against a white background, showing your full face from the shoulders up, with your head uncovered, and dated on the back with a date stamp. The back of one photo must be certified by your respondent.
Note: Hats and head coverings must not be worn unless they are worn daily for religious or medical reasons. However, your full face must be clearly visible and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
Choose your respondent carefully!
Make sure your respondent meets the following criteria:
- Is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Is 18 or over;
- Has personally known you for at least one year;
- Is available for verification by BSP.
If you do not know anyone who meets all these criteria, the only person authorized to certify your photo is a commissioner of oaths, notary, or lawyer. Make sure your respondent completes and signs the respondent’s declaration on the form and signs one of your photos.
You meet the requirements and have understood the obligations of the licence requested?
APPLY ONLINE when you are ready by clicking on the link below.
Select the desired licence application. Please note! You will need to complete and submit your application online (faster) or submit your application by mail.