Required training

Thinking about a career in private security? Do you meet all the prerequisites for obtaining the mandatory licence? Do you have the required training or equivalent knowledge and skills?

When applying for a licence, and depending on the desired licence class, you must demonstrate that you have successfully completed the mandatory training prescribed by regulation.

You may also request an analysis of the equivalence of your knowledge and skills if you have not completed the required training. 


School service centres

The mandatory training as per the Regulation regarding the private security guarding training requires to have successfully completed at least 70 hours of training in an institution from a School service centre which offers a program in private security guarding, and delivers a training certificate.

This course includes three mandatory modules:

  • Environment, functions. legislation and standards of conduct (30 hours)
  • Emergency procedures (24 hours)
  • First aid in the workplace, recognized by CNESST (16 hours)

To learn more about this training or to know what are the dates of the upcoming training courses given at a School service centre in your region, consult the website at  

Other security guarding training courses recognized by the Ministry of Public Security :

In accordance with Section 112.1 of the PSA and following the recognition by the Ministry of Public Security of certain guarding training courses other than those stipulated in the Regulation regarding the training that are required, the BSP accepts the following training courses provided that they are taken and successfully completed from the date on which they have met all the recognition criteria.

To learn more about the other security guarding training course recognized by the Ministry of Public Security



You must obtain a diploma of vocational studies in locksmithing or its equivalent recognized by Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES).

For more information about this training course and the next dates it will be offered by a school service centre in your area, go to the Inforoute de la Formation professionnelle et technique website.  

Also, be aware that the following three School service centres: Des Grandes-Seigneuries School service centre, Marguerite-Bourgeoys School service centre and The Capitale School service centre now offer the DEP in locksmithing in "WSA" mode (work-study alternation).



Subject to certain and strict conditions, it is possible for a person to carry on security guarding activities while he or she is undergoing security guarding training eventually leading to the issuance of a regular agent licence upon successful completion.

Indeed, it is possible to apply to the BSP for a temporary agent licence (security guarding training) in the context of a work-study program where the student is under the constant supervision of a regular security guarding agent licence holder during the periods that he or she is engaged in security guarding activities. Such licence is valid for 120 days, which is the maximum length of time allowed to successfully complete the security guarding training. It shall be granted only once by the BSP. Before the end of this licence's validity, the applicant must have successfully completed the training and he or she must have apply for the conversion of the temporary licence into a regular one on the form provided for this purpose under the form section.

At all times, a temporary licence holder (security guarding training) must satisfy the conditions set out in the Private Security Act (RLRQ, c. S-3-5) and its regulations.

Please note that as of January 1, 2022, there will be an additional precedent condition to obtain this temporary licence, which is to demonstrate that the applicant already holds a valid workplace first aid card (CNESST training – 16 h).


You have three options:

  • You must have successfully completed the 135-hour course “Initiation aux techniques d’enquête et d’investigation” offered in a college-level educational institution;
  • You must have obtained, within the past five years, a college diploma in police technology or an equivalent diploma recognized by Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES).
  • You must have obtained, within the past five years, a bachelor’s degree in security and police studies or an equivalent degree recognized by Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES).



Under the PSA and its regulations, no specific training is required to obtain a licence in this class.

Caution! Training to carry on an activity related to electronic security systems may be required by another body regulating this sector, such as Commission de la construction du Québec.



You must successfully complete training on the handling of firearm and the use of force provided by an instructor qualified by École nationale de police du Québec (ENPQ).

Accredited ENPQ qualified instructors offer their services directly to valuables transport agencies that have an agency licence issued by BSP. You must therefore contact these agencies to complete the required training.



There is no specific training required for security consulting. However, you must demonstrate to BSP’s satisfaction that you have the practical knowledge and professional skills necessary to provide security consulting services. You must be able to provide consulting services on protection against theft, intrusion, or vandalism independently from security guarding, investigation, locksmith work, electronic security systems, and valuables transport activities, particularly by developing plans or specifications or presenting projects.

To do this, your file may include:

  • A copy of your résumé along with proof of employment or client testimonials, including a detailed description of the duties performed and the duration of each job or assignment
  • A copy of relevant diplomas, transcripts, or training certificates
  • Examples of completed projects  




If you have not completed the required training for the desired agent licence class but think you have sufficient, relevant knowledge, you may submit a request to BSP to evaluate your knowledge and skills in relation to the required training.

You must therefore provide proof of the following, which will be taken into consideration when evaluating your file:

  • Diplomas obtained in relevant or related fields
  • Nature and content of courses you have completed as well as the results you obtained
  • Internships and other training activities you have completed
  • Nature and duration of your experience in security

Caution! A résumé is not proof of your experience. You must obtain proof of employment from your employers. To do this, we recommend using the following templates:

Below is some additional information to guide you in your request for an evaluation of the equivalence of knowledge and skills.  


You can obtain a confirmation letter of hours worked in security guarding from the Parity Committee for security guards by submitting a request directly online at, by email at, or by fax at 514-493-6661.

Furthermore, proof of the successful completion of a 16-hour workplace first aid course, issued by a CNESST-accredited body, is required for any request for an evaluation of the equivalence of knowledge and skills. To find out where this training is offered in your area, refer to the Liste provinciale des organismes de formation en secourisme au travail



Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the Initiation aux techniques d’enquête et d’investigation program. 



Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the locksmith vocational training program.  

Commission scolaire de la Capitale offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the locksmith vocational training program.  

Commission scolaire des Grandes-Seigneuries offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the locksmith vocational training program.



You can send us a valid Authorization to Carry Restricted Firearms and Certain Handguns (ATC) issued by the Chief Firearms Officer for Québec.

Caution! Do not confuse an ATC with a firearm Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). A PAL is not equivalent to an ATC or the training required under the regulation for an agent in the Transport of valuables class.